“The Taliban shot Malala Yousafzai because they understand that in the long run, the greatest threat to extremism isn’t a drone overhead but a girl with a book.” — Nicholas Kristoff
Nominate/Register your tween nominee: https://www.ffwn.org/events
Sponsor a tween and/or the Disrupt Book Club.
Watch this space for a parallel activity FWN PinayRising with more Disrupt authors.
Complimentary books for nominated tweens based in the Philippines may be picked up from FWN President Georgitta Puyat (Manila) and Joji Ilagan Bian, Chair, Joji Ilagan International Schools (Davao).
“Teach a girl how to read and she will one day change the world.” — Marily Mondejar
Nominate and register a Pinay tween (ages 9-12 years old) to join the FWN Pinay Tweens100 Book Club Series. Weekly online book readings and discussions for an hour and a half with authors, a complimentary Disrupt 1.0 book (paperback or Kindle version), and femtoring from an FWN author/Global FWN100 awardee or member.
When selected, Tween commits to attending all 24 sessions in 2021.
The FWN PinayTweens Disrupt Leadership Book Club: “100 Pinay Girls Who Will One Day Influence the World” is FWN’s newest Femtor Match initiative: developing FWN’s leadership pipeline focusing on 9-12-year-olds, a most neglected age demographic.
Who is a Tween?
A tween is a young girl between the age of 9 and 12. No longer a child, but not quite a teenager. They are in between the two age groups and their behaviors and emotions are uniquely their own. Increased independence is a hallmark of the tween years. FWN wants to help Pinay tweens figure out their identity, develop their leadership potential that one day they will not only influence their schools and communities and also the world. FWN’s educational philosophy is to expose tweens to books and engage with the Filipina women authors of the Disrupt leadership books is the first step in personal development.
Marily Mondejar and Maria Beebe will facilitate the book club discussions.
Check your country’s time zone:
- Chicago 7-8:30 p.m. Tuesday
- Japan 9-10:30 a.m. (next day Wednesday)
- London 1-2:30 a.m. (next day Wednesday)
- Manila 8-9:30 a.m. (next day Wednesday)
- New York / Toronto 8-9:30 p.m. Tuesday
- San Francisco / Vancouver 5-6:30 p.m. Tuesday
- Switzerland / Norway / Austria 2-3:30 a.m. (next day Wednesday)
- UAE Dubai 4-5:30 a.m. (next day Wednesday)
Author Line-up is subject to author confirmation of date availability. The dates show California and Philippine time difference.
#1 April 20/April 21 and #2 April 27/April 28
- Elena Mangahas, Author: Filipinas Rising
- Gloria T. Caoile, Author: Stepping Up
- Marily Mondejar, Author: FWN and I
#3 May 4/May 5 and #4 May 11/May 12
- Michele Bumgarner, Author: For the Love of Racing (invited)
- Cris Comerford, Author: Chef to the Chiefs (invited)
- Kristine M. Custodio, ACP, Author: The Chronicles of a Meeting Queen (invited)
#5 May 18/May 19 and #6 May 25/May 26
- Sonia T. Delen, Author: From Boondock to Boardroom (invited)
- Ernestina de los Santos-Mac MD, Author: Leadership by Inspiration (invited)
- Judge Cheryl Nora Moss, Author: Nevada’s First Filipina District Court Judge (invited)
#7 June 1/June 2 and #8 June 8/June 9
- Janet Susan R. Nepales, Author: Writing for Sainthood (invited)
- Shirley S. Raguindin, Author: Beating the Odds (invited)
- Janet C. Mendoza Stickmon, Author: Blackapina (invited)
#9 June 15/June 16 and #10 June 22/June 23
- Nina Aguas, Author: A Filipina Leans In (invited)
- Mayor Ruth Uy Asmundson, Ph.D., Author: From Barefoot in the Barrio to American Madame Mayor (invited)
- Mary Jane Alvero-Al Mahdi, Author: Crossing Borders in Pursuit of Excellence (invited)
#11 June 29/June 30 and #12 July 6/ July7
- Suzie Moya Benitez, Author: Creating Initiatives for Change (invited)
- Carmencita M. David-Padilla MD, Author: Guided Path: My Career in Medicine, Research & Public Service (invited)
- Adela Sering-Fojas, Author: Pakikisama: Building Relationships, Building an Industry (invited)
#13 July 13/July 14 and #14 July 20/July 21
- Soledad MuescoManaay PhD, Author: The Power of Dreams (invited)
- Susie Quesada, Author: Mommyla, Popsy and Me: Leading by Example Through the Generations (invited)
- Marife Zamora, Author: Leading an Industry: My Journey with 55,000 Heroes (invited)
#15 July 27/July 28 and #16 Aug 3/Aug 4
- Maria Africa Beebe PhD, Author: Harmonizing Global Teams in Afghanistan (invited)
- Penelope V. Flores PhD, Author: Ad Astra per Aspira: To the Stars Through Difficulties (invited)
- Mira Gillet, Author: Grit: Leadership Through Social Media (invited)
#17 Aug 10/Aug 11 and #18 Aug 17/Aug 18
- Lenore RS Lim, Author: Full Circle (invited)
- Isabelita T. Manalastas-Watanabe, Author: Japan: A Love-Hate Relationship (invited)
- Imelda Nicolas, Author: Learnings from Several Lifetimes (invited)
#19 Aug 24/Aug 25 and #20 Aug 31/Sept 1
- Loida Nicolas Lewis with Rocio CasimiroNuyda, Author: Ora et Labora: A Girl named Loida of Sorsogon (invited)
- Patricia Ann V. Paez (deceased) to be facilitated by Rowena Sanchez: Being a Woman Ambassador (invited)
- Delia Rodriguez-Amaya PhD, Author: Uphill Road to Success in Science and the Academe (invited)
#21 Sept 7/Sept 8 and #22 Sept 14/Sept 15
- Astrid S. Tuminez PhD, Author: A Filipina in a Word, A Filipina in the World (invited)
- Amelia Duran Stanton PhD, Author: Standing on the Shoulders of Filipina Giants (invited)
- Annalisa Vicente Enrile PhD, Author: We Speak Their Names (invited)
#23 Sept 21/Sept 22 (This will be a 2-hour session for only one week.)
- Julieta Gabiola MD, Author: ABCs for Global Health (invited)
- LirioSobrevinas-Covey PhD, Author: Letter to a Young Filipina (invited)
- Maria Africa Beebe PhD, Author: Synthesis
#24 Sept 27/28
- GRADUATION (during the Filipina Summit)
The FWN PinayTweens and PinayRising Disrupt Leadership Book Club is made possible by the generous sponsorship of AT&T, Kaisipan Inc., and the Marily Legacy Fund. Thank you for your generosity.
Marily Mondejar and the FWN Board
Elena Mangahas and Gloria Caoile will kick-off the PinayTweens Disrupt Leadership Book Club. Check here for their bios and subsequent authors bios.